Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. ORS 688.435 is amended to read:
688.435. The provisions of ORS 688.405 to 688.605 do not apply to
the following persons:
(1) Persons who operate dental X-ray equipment for the sole purpose of oral radiography.
(2) Students in approved schools, while practicing one of the medical imaging modalities or subspecialties under the supervision of the school’s assigned clinical instructor.
(3) Specific licensed health care providers, other than physicians, who use sonographic equipment within their lawful scope of practice.
(4) Licensed nurse practitioners, certified registered nurse anesthetists, as defined in ORS 678.245, and clinical nurse specialists, as defined in ORS 678.010, while:
(a) Providing direction to a medical imaging licensee for the purpose of performing a medical procedure that is within the scope of practice of the licensed nurse practitioner, certified registered nurse anesthetist or clinical nurse specialist; or
(b) Performing a medical imaging modality that is within the scope of practice of the licensed nurse practitioner, certified registered nurse anesthetist or clinical nurse specialist.
(5) Licensed physicians. (5)
(6) Persons who use radiation for the purpose of research or education. As used in this subsection
“Education” means A program of study or training :
(A) in which a student, trainee or health care practitioner learns to practice or improve skills for a profession regulated by a health professional regulatory board, as defined in ORS 676.160 ;
, and that is:
(B)(i) That is
(A) Accredited by a national or regional post-secondary accrediting body or organization; or (ii) That is
(B) Approved or recognized by a health professional regulatory board , as defined in ORS 676.160, for purposes related to being authorized to practice a profession .
; or (b) “Research” means
A systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to general knowledge and that has been approved by an institutional review board that provides for the protection of human research subjects in accordance with federal regulations.