BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter B, Chapter 264, Family Code, is amended by adding Section 264.130 to read as follows:
Sec. 264.130. PREGNANCY AND PARENTING INFORMATION. The department at developmentally appropriate stages shall ensure that children in the managing conservatorship of the department who are pregnant or who are minor parents receive information on and support in providing safe environments for children, including information and support regarding:
(1) safe sleeping arrangements;
(2) suggestions for childproofing potentially dangerous settings in a home;
(3) child development and methods to cope with challenging behaviors;
(4) selection of appropriate substitute caregivers;
(5) a child's early brain development, including the importance of meeting an infant's developmental needs by providing positive experiences and avoiding adverse experiences;
(6) the importance of paternal involvement in a child's life and methods for coparenting;
(7) the benefits of reading, singing, and talking to young children;
(8) the importance of prenatal and postpartum care for both the mother and infant, including the impact of and signs for perinatal mood disorders;
(9) infant nutrition and the importance of breastfeeding; and
(10) healthy relationships, including the prevention of intimate partner violence.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2019.