BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 1, Part 2, is amended by adding the following language as a new section:
(a) The department of education shall create and administer a coaching network for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten teachers throughout the state, to begin in the 2019-2020 school year. The goals of the coaching network are to:
(1) Build teachers' instructional capacity through job-embedded professional learning;
(2) Establish a continuum of learning between pre-kindergarten and kindergarten that ensures easy and strong grade transitions for students;
(3) Ensure systematic support of an integrated model of instruction that supports student development in literacy, math, and social competence;
(4) Support strong student growth portfolio understanding and implementation; and
(5) Foster the necessary expectations and culture for learning to ensure success for all students.
(b) The department shall ensure that early childhood consultants are available regionally, throughout the state, to assist teachers who participate in the coaching network.
(c) The department may use existing coaching network programs as a model to assist in developing the coaching network for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten teachers.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2019, the public welfare requiring it.