BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
Section 1. NEW SECTION. 256.47 World language education pilot program — report — appropriation.
1. The department shall establish a world language education pilot program to enhance foreign language education in Iowa elementary schools. The pilot program shall provide for research-based foreign language instruction of students beginning in kindergarten and continuing through grade five. The pilot program shall provide for yearly assessments of student progress in the development of foreign language skills. The department shall establish program evaluation criteria, including but not limited to improvement in student grades and reading, writing, and cultural competency skills.
2. The department shall establish the pilot program in two elementary schools in school districts with enrollment less than three thousand students and two elementary schools in school districts with enrollment greater than three thousand students. The department shall limit participation in the pilot program to schools in which at least ninety percent of enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced price meals under the federal National School Lunch Act and the federal Child Nutrition Act of 1966, 42 U.S.C. §1751-1785. The department shall give preference in the selection of schools to participate in the pilot program to schools in which a significant percentage of enrolled students are limited English proficient as defined in section 280.4, subsection 1, or in which enrolled students have a language background in a significant number of languages other than English.
3. Each elementary school participating in the pilot program shall enter into a chapter 28E agreement with a regents institution to assist in the development of instruction, coursework, assessments, and any other resources necessary to carry out the pilot program.
4. The department shall submit a biennial report to the general assembly beginning December 27, 2019, on the department’s findings and recommendations regarding the pilot program and foreign language education in this state.
5. There is appropriated from the general fund of the state to the department of education for each of the fiscal years in the fiscal period beginning July 1, 2019, and ending June 30, 2025, two hundred eighty thousand dollars for the pilot program. There is appropriated from the general fund of the state to the department of education for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2019, and ending June 30, 2020, one hundred thousand dollars for administrative costs associated with the implementation of the pilot program.