The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 11019.9 of the Government Code is amended to read:
(1) Personally identifiable information is only obtained through lawful means.
(2) The purposes for which personally identifiable data are collected are specified at or before the time of collection, and any subsequent use is limited to the fulfillment of purposes not inconsistent with those purposes previously specified.
(3) Personal data shall not be disclosed, made available, or otherwise used for purposes other than those specified, except with the consent of the subject of the data, or as authorized by law or regulation.
(4) Personal data collected must be relevant to the purpose for which it is collected.
(5) The general means by which personal data is protected against loss, unauthorized access, use modification or disclosure shall be posted, unless that disclosure of general means would compromise legitimate state department or state agency objectives or law enforcement purposes.
(A) Includes the word "privacy."
(B) Is written in capital letters equal to or greater in size than the surrounding text.
(C) Is written in larger type than the surrounding text or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same size, or is set off from the surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks that call attention to the language.